Monday, April 5, 2010

Riceboy Sleeps

I could not sleep last night. My mind was all flustered.

"It is a slightly arresting notion that if you were to pick yourself apart with tweezers, one atom at a time, you would produce a mound of fine atomic dust, none of which had ever been alive but all of which had once been you." -Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything

That up there is why I couldn't sleep. It's a hard thing to wrap your head around, but then again, wrapping your head around anything is probably extremely difficult in itself. My fingers have been lingering over the keys on the keyboard for several minutes just trying to put my ideas into words. I can only catch little fragments of an ultimately deep thought, the rest of it's just muddled up in my cranium. What really makes a human, human? What on Earth does it mean to be human? If you have an answer, a really good one, I'd like to know. Because right now I see myself as little more than a collection of atoms, hopefully some of Shakespeare's recycled ones!

Someday soon I want to go gallivanting around El Paso taking photos of everything I see. Whithered trees, whithered faces, whithered buildings. A good photo involves wrinkled, cracked, aging things, I've learned that from a year of a highschool photography class (shout out to Mrs. Haephner!)
True hipsters say they hate hipsters.
Photobucket


That's the closing statement for this one. I didn't really have much to say, but hey, it's a blog! I am almost 94% sure that the blog stands for Boring Log. Notice, I'm almost 94% sure. Really it's 93.873% sure. Thank you Mr. Paton for making me use significant digits all the time, even when it's really insignificant.

Post-script;
I forgot Iowa was a state today.
Post-post-script;
Sorry Iowa.

1 comment:

  1. Being human means exactly what meant to you before. Atoms are just a way for the universe to explain that. A house being made out of bricks doesn't make it any less of a house. And if you take that house apart and turn it into bricks then those bricks aren't the house. They are the components of the house but the house is gone. You aren't a collection of atoms, but a person who just happens to made out of them.

    Also, you are constantly replacing atoms in your body. So eventually you will be made up of entirely different atoms. Which means, at some point in the past or future or maybe now you maybe did/do/will have some Shakespeare atoms. c:

    ReplyDelete