Friday, April 9, 2010

My love, I am the speed of sound.


I love El Paso. I don't think I need a reason, but I have so many.

When I was five, my parents, siblings and I all boarded a plane to the United States of America. I remember the flight! I remember almost peeing with excitement after I saw my favourite song (Sweet Like Chocolate by Shank and Bigfoot) being played on the little television screens on the backs of every seat. I yelled out to my parents across the aisle to tell them.

I made quite the scene.

We moved to this west Texas town and for the longest time I wanted to get out, to go somewhere big and bright and British . I don't remember when England lost it's allure, but I know why I love this border town.

El Paso, Texas has mountains.

Purple mountains, like the Crayola crayon. A couple of weeks ago, it was terribly windy and awful dusty, it covered up the mountains 'til they looked like they didn't even exist. It was positively awful. I will never live in a flat state. It must be hell.

El Paso, Texas has an amazing music scene.

At The Drive In, Sparta, The Mars Volta. Plus all those up and coming bands, not yet famous, but soon to be phenomenons. There's always a show playing somewhere, at some mood lit coffee shop or underground venue. I get so happy thinking about it. This desert town has soul.


El Paso Texas, home to ASARCO towers.

I do not care, I know that the towers are a cesspool of bacteria and cancers and ungodly forms of radiation, infecting our water and causing birth defects by the thousands. But I love the aesthetic effect they give off. They're so big and imposing. They are my favourite thing about El Paso. I love nothing more than driving down Paisano and sticking my head out the window as we drive right by the tower. I will scale it one day, I will indeed.

El Paso, Texas has the sweetest smelling rain in the universe.

That could be an exaggeration, Mars could very well have some delightfully scented weather patterns, but this is my blog, so get over the inaccuracy. When, and if it ever rains in El Paso, the air is filled with the lovely, flowery smell of the Creosote bush. It's a positively lovely weed, and it grows all over this city. They're of medium size, with millions upon millions of tiny round leaves on their scraggly branches. If you see some, just take a sprig, crush it in between your fingertips and take a deep whiff of my favourite smell. It's smells like love, it does.

I could write more, I really could, but I'm getting a feeling people don't want to read rantings and ravings about a city in the corner of Texas.


El Paso, you have my heart. El Paso, I love you.

1 comment:

  1. This town made me want to never live in a place without mountains, too. Mountains are too beautiful and feel too secure to be without them :)

    ReplyDelete